It was time to leave Beverly Beach and head up the coast towards home. Of course we made a couple stops along the way.
As it was super busy day in Cannon Beach, we didn't stop in town but went just north to Ecola State Park - Indian Beach in particular. It was ruggedly beautiful and despite the rain we explored the beach and the craggy rocks nearby. One of the things that strikes me and that I love is the big sky and vast clouds that hover overhead. It really makes for a dramatic and majestic scene!
From there we headed further north through Astoria and over the Columbia River to Long Beach, Washington where we stayed at the Adrift Inn.
What an amazing place! We had never been there before and were kinda bummed that we only stayed for a day and a bit.
Regardless, we had a blast together - a great dinner at the Pickled Fish Restaurant at the hotel, riding beach cruisers which by the way are complimentary with your room and explored the little town of Long Beach.
Our little getaway proved to be yet again a magical Chmackie adventure.
If you haven't seen the video of our trip highlights, take a look and enjoy!
As a professional creative artist who has worked in the visual industry for the better part of 20 years, I have made some observations along the way about the more crucial ingredients for a successful shoot. It's a lot more than just showing up and looking good!
1. Hire a professional photographer. In this day and age, almost everyone owns a digital camera and thinks they are a photographer, but when it comes to high quality portraits there is a huge difference between the amateurs and the pros. Professional photographers have invested tens of thousands of dollars (if not more) in their education and equipment. They have taken the time to hone their skills and will use their expertise to create results you love. When it comes to your business and family keepsakes, professional photography is a worthy investment.
2. Feel good about yourself. Everyone has down days, but if you're feeling less than enthused about yourself, your job, your appearance or life in general it's not the best time to have your portrait taken. The eyes are the windows to the soul and when you're down it shows in your face and body language. Take the time you need to better your circumstances or perspective and then get ready for breathtaking photos that will connect with people on a deep and more meaningful level.
3. It's a collaboration. As a photographer who is known for creating authentic portraits and loves helping people succeed, I have to be honest: I'm not a magician. I can't make you look like Jennifer Lawrence or Brad Pitt. What I can do is collaborate with you to create the most flattering and authentic portrait of the 'best you' that will attract the right clients or create a cherished personal moment to frame. Whatever your desire, we will work together and create something wonderful.
4. Have a clear vision. Some clients come to me expecting to just show up, I'll snap a few pictures and they'll have these amazing portraits. But... it’s not that easy! I need to learn about you. I need to know what makes you tick so that I can use my expertise to capture your essence on film. I need to get a feel for who you are and what you want to accomplish. To me, your portrait is an opportunity to tell your story.
5. Pamper and polish. In my earlier career as a makeup artist I learned that professional hair and makeup is an important part of creating beautifully polished portraits. But you don’t need to be a glamour queen. Simply enhancing your own natural features will make you look good, feel good and have a huge impact on the quality of your portraits. A little pampering goes a long way!
6. Rest up. A good night's sleep will do wonders to bring out the bright and happy person that you are. Not only do we feel good on the inside, the benefits of sleep show on the outside as well. Our eyes look brighter, our skin more vibrant and our body language will be more inviting and approachable. Get a good night’s sleep before your photo shoot so your body and mind will be energised and beautiful!
7. Have fun! Remember to have fun during your portrait session! It's a time for you to relax and just be yourself. This may sound hard to do but the easiest way to make it possible is to hire a photographer who you like and feel comfortable with. Working together really is an exchange of energy and connection so having a great rapport is absolutely crucial to getting the results you want.
So happy and grateful to have this cherished moment of my dad with Connor when he was a baby. I know Connor will never forget him but it's comforting that we have these beautiful life moments to make sure that we don't.
A portrait that accurately represents you will naturally, and quite powerfully, breathe life into your image and raise your credibility and trust to potential clients.
With that in mind, I specifically designed this day of portrait sessions for professionals, actors & performers, and those of you in the process of creating or updating your marketing plan. An easy way to get fresh, eye-catching professional portraits that will not only represent you authentically, but create tangible results while you hone your brand.
This special day of portraits is offered just a few times a year and includes a select number of individual portrait sessions photographed in-studio on a pre-set date. The next date is scheduled for Wednesday, March 2nd, 2016.
Professional portraits help you to:
Each all inclusive 90-minute portrait session includes:
A bonus 3rd image for the first 5 people to book
This special portrait package is not offered privately and with just 10 spots available so be sure to book now to get top priority for your preferred session time on Wednesday March 2nd, 2016.
For future Power of a Portrait Sessions days, please contact me to be added to the waiting list for preferred dates and times.
Great, I'd love to chat with you!
I offer expanded portrait packages and custom photography to meet the unique needs of my clients.
Book your complimentary Visual Branding Discovery Session.
Together, we'll discover the best ways to help you shine through effective and stunning photography.
This shoot is long overdue in posting!
Amanda Jones is a dream lady to photograph. She's an experienced and talented actor in the city and not only is she beautiful, she is very enthusiastic and appreciative of photography making her an ideal client for me! She understands fully what it actually takes to get those amazing shots that truly capture a person as they are at their best and we had fun doing just that with her.
Photographing Amanda was a wonderful experience for me as well and because of that, we ended up spending a great afternoon shooting and chatting and having a great time taking pictures.
I know Amanda is very happy with her new photos and getting lots of new gigs all the time!
Another successful portrait session with lovely new talent Britt Howarth of Reel Athletes Talent Agency.
We were expecting it to rain but to our pleasant surprise the skies opened up to give us a soft cloud covering and a few rays of sun, making the portrait session with Britt exactly the way we wanted it!
I hope to photograph this beauty again some time. ;)
Makeup & Hair Styling by: Katrina Molson
Our little video to accompany the photos - enjoy!
Another amazing day on the Oregon Coast.
Breakfast at our campsite at Beverly Beach and it was good to see Connor getting into taking pictures with our point & shoot. Then off to Agate Beach State Park to roam the Oregon Coast fog covered dunes. It kinda felt we were on another planet until it lifted to reveal the wavy ocean and blue sky. The wind was strong as it blew across the sand, which almost felt like you were on a moving walkway pushing you forward.
From there we hit Sylvia Beach where we had a lovely lunch at one of the seaside cafes and browsed a few of the funky antique and curio shops.
Last stop, the Yaquina Bay Lighthouse. Always fascinating, I love that these old lighthouses are so well preserved to the way they were when the families had lived in them. So many memories embedded in the stone and wood, you can still feel their energy. I have lots of photos of the many lighthouses that line the Oregon Coast. Perhaps one day I will create a series to show.
The coast is very special to us because Mike and I did a trip down there in 2007 while I was pregnant with Connor and just a few short months before he was born. We frolicked on the dunes and he was with us. We've taken Connor with us a couple of times since then and it really suits him. We call him our barefoot and blond nature boy. He seems to really be in his element there; we all do. We travel well together and I must say, are the happiest when we're out and about exploring the world.
Next up is day 4 as we make our way north this time to Long Beach, Washington. A place none of us had ever been, and it was magical. Stay tuned!
My words to live by for 2016 are Peace & Contentment.
Paige Birnie, long time friend, fab London-basded photographer and savvy business woman. We recently spent the day photographing each other for our current branding and publicity portraits and agreed that we definitely take the best shots of each other and will be doing them whenever she comes back into town!
Back in September, Connor and his cousin Rae were both fascinated and enamoured by the many, many salmon that filled the water on their way up the Seymour River by our house. It was such a joy to see them so excited and considerate of the fish as they kept insisting that we all be super quiet around them.
Looking back on 2015, it was a year of gaining clarity and focus, but also a year of change and transition. My family and I bought our first home in the Maplewood/Seymour area of North Vancouver, which meant a totally new neighbourhood and school for Connor and a whole new set of neighbours. I'm proud of the work I created this past year and am happy to know they are helping those clients work towards and achieve their life's goals and dreams. There are a lot of images from my personal life that I also love so I hope you will enjoy my selection of favourites from 2015!
Our second day at Beverly Beach, Oregon was simply heavenly. We chose to pretty much stay put for the day and soak in the beauty and relax. Connor was in his element exploring the shoreline finding sand dollars and tons of jelly fish and found complete joy in flying his kite for hours on end. We took a little break for lunch at Devil's Punchbowl and enjoyed a quick visit to the Newport Aquarium. Back to the beach again in the evening for more kite flying and capturing our nature boy against the fading light and blue sky - bliss for me!